This e-learning bundle has been produced for you by the IMarEST and , and is offered for free to help build capacity and develop the knowledge and skills of marine professionals.
u乐平台官网The total time required to complete this course, which consists of 6 modules that should be watched in sequence, is 2.5 hours. We encourage you to watch and complete the course at your own pace, and transcipts for each module to help you follow along and absorb the information.
Module 1: Coastal and Marine Activities
In this 35 minute module you will learn:
- To recognise the range of competing uses that exist in coastal and marine areas.
- To understand the basic interactions between different coastal and marine activities.
- To appreciate the interactions between marine and coastal activities and the environment.
- To recognise Integrated Coastal Management as a mechanism to manage activities within busy marine and coastal areas.
Module 2: Maritime Zones and the Law of the Sea Part 1: Baselines and Zones
In this 17 minute module you will learn:
- To understand the basis of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
- To appreciate the maritime zones delineated under UNCLOS.
- To identify considerations for marine data collection associated with UNCLOS.
Module 3: Maritime Zones and the Law of the Sea Part 2: Boundaries and Disputes
In this 24 minute module you will learn:
- To understand the mechanism for the determination of maritime boundaries.
- To appreciate that the determination of maritime boundaries can generate disputes.
- To recognise the main mechanisms to overcome maritime boundary disputes.
Module 4: Improvements in Navigation
In this 28 minute module you will learn:
- To review the information needed by the navigator and the means used to provide this information.
- To relate the changes that have occurred to navigation equipment in recent history.
- To recognise the impact that the changes have had on navigational performance and trading capability.
Module 5: Safety of Life at Sea and International Safety Management
In this 27 minute module you will learn:
- To outline the contents of the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention.
- To examine the objectives and implementation of SOLAS Chapter IX and the importance of the ISM Code.
- To distil the responsibilities of the ship’s Master and the shipping company for the development and implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS).
Module 6: An introduction to data management
In this 19 minute module you learn:
- To explain what constitutes as data, and recognise that it takes many forms.
- To define what data management is, and why it is required.
- To recognise what is good data and what is bad data, and how operations are impacted by both.
© MLA College / IMarEST